Thursday 25 April 2013

New to Me in April 2013

It's time to be inspired again, by checking out all the fascinating things that crafty bloggers have been up to this month.


I left it a bit late to try something new this month as I only tackled this yesterday, but I am delighted to have found a new way to use up some of my stash - Lampshades!


When I was looking for fabric for curtains for our newly decorated bedroom, I bought a metre of Beach Huts fabric. After it had hung from the curtain rail for a couple of days I decided that it wasn't what I was looking for. Rather than consign it to the bottom of the fabric pile I decided to make a lampshade for the new room with it instead.

Never having made a lampshade before I opted to buy a kit rather than try to find all the materials separately. The kit came with the metal lampshade rings, the adhesive backing fabric, the transparent sticky tape and full instructions. So I was good to go.

The lampshade turned out to be so much easier and quicker to make than I had thought that I wondered why I had never tried this before :)



I have since bought another kit to make a pendant lampshade and I'm trying to get my head around getting the curves right on the directional fabric. I can now see why a drum shaped lampshade is an attractive proposition!

So now it is your turn to link up your New to Me in 2013 projects.

Link them up below and share your triumphs and/or disasters.

As ever please help to spread the word by linking back to this post in your post and/or adding the blog button to your sidebar.

Check out the other links and leave a comment along the way. The emphasis of this link party is to celebrate the trying of something new, whether it works out exactly as planned or not, so a little encouragement here and there would not go amiss! 

The link will remain open until April 30th so if you haven't already tried something new you still have time :)





15 comments:

  1. I have an old lamp base (a present from my late grandfather) that originally came with a drum-shaped shade just like that (well, not as pretty - it was just plain). The shade was dented in one of our moves and consigned to the bin but I would love to have a new one and haven't found one in the shops.... must see if I can get a lampshade kit over here. Thanks for the inspiration (of course the lamp base is back in Germany but I'll maybe see if I can get the kit and fabric here and make it up when I get back!).

    Your fabric choice is great for the lampshade! Good luck with the pendant shade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fabric, Fiona. It makes the perfect lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow,I love it, and I seriously love the fabric, its gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous lampshade and great fun. It's great when projects are easier to do than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beach huts fabric and it is the perfect scale for that lampshade. Now... about making a quilt for that room....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Oh and I know I haven't shared a lovely 'new to me' sewing project but meeting someone off the internet was the biggest 'new to me' thing that I did this month and I really wanted to share! :)

      Delete
  7. I love this lampshade - great fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funnily mum and I looked at and rejected the same fabric for her bedroom! This is a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your lampshade is just fab! Must have a go at that...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really pretty, lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea ... it looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been playing a little catch up lately on my blog reading and I LOVE the lamp shade. I really really want to do this in my daughter's room. I think a drum shade would work with the lamp I have. Did you have to treat your fabric so that it would be fire resistant?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...