Thursday 9 November 2017

Scrappy Trimmings

Welcome to the TGIFF link party, this week I have three scrappy finishes to share with you.

A few weeks ago in the newsletter for Bernina owners in the UK, Bernina's Christmas Tree campaign for Friends of the Elderly was announced. They asked Bernina stitchers to make a Christmas tree decoration that will be used to decorate trees in residential homes for the elderly around the country. The idea appealed to me so I started to think about what I could do.

Then I remembered a half-finished Cathedral window block that was hanging around my sewing room and dug that out to finish.

 
With the addition of a bead in the centre and a hanging loop I was sorted!

In the course of my rummaging I came across some felt hearts that had been cut out when I was first playing with the Sizzix cutter. Some hand stitching later and the serendipitous discovery of a robin button and I had this tree trim to add to the first.

By now I was on a roll, so I decided that I really ought to make a third tree trim from scratch this time.

My yo-yo Christmas tree bauble was a lot of fun to make and had the added benefit of using up all sorts of scraps of fabric and trim, I have put together a tutorial if you would like to make one too. It is straightforward enough that a child who was competent with a needle could easily put one together. (There is a bit of tugging with a needle involved in joining the layers of yo-yo's together so it is probably not suitable for a young child to try.)

You can find the tutorial here

So that is my finish for the TGIFF link party, now it is your turn to link up and share your finishes too. As ever, share the finish celebrations with your fellow bloggers by including the TGIFF blog button in your post and checking out other great finishes along the way.




If you would like to join LeanneAnja and I as TGIFF co-ordinators in 2018 we have room for one more! Contact any one of us to let us know if you are interested.





6 comments:

  1. 3 adorable finishes - nice ways to use up the stash bits and pieces, and I quite liked the tutorial for the tree on the linked page. Christmas sewing has definitely begun ... and sadly (lol), we're getting our first snow of the season right now. It usually doesn't come this early, but it will sure get the Christmas spirit flowing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your makes Fiona, not quite ready to do my Christmas sewing yet but these are so inspiring. Thanks for hosting TGIFF, have a great weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Christmas ornaments, and not too time consuming at this busy time of year either. Thank you for the tutorial for the Christmas tree. I didn't know there was a Bernina Owners UK and it's about ten years since I bought my first one, I will have to check it out.
    Thank you for hosting, and for co ordinating TGIFF too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're all great ornaments, Fiona. That little robin button was the perfect find for the heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ornaments, Fiona. How cute is the heart with the robin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Did you guys already find a coordinator to help with TGIFF? I would be interested, as I have a heavy drive on UFOs starting up and can use even more motivation to keep on track for finishes. Helping you guys would keep me spurred.) Your ornaments are so pretty! Several cousins and my sister and I do a craftsman ornament exchange each your - I need to finish mine up and send them out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...